Our History

From Humble Beginnings in 1953 to a Thriving Fire Department Serving Generations

On February 6th, 1953, the home of Mr. Eugene Hoshall, located near the community of Level, Maryland, was damaged by fire. As a result, the citizens of the community felt the need to organize their own volunteer fire company.

Twelve days after this fire, about 100 interested citizens from Level and nearby areas, along with guests from other nearby fire companies, held a meeting in the social hall of the Rock Run Methodist Church to plan the first steps in forming a volunteer fire company. As a result of this meeting, a committee was formed, and another meeting of the committee was scheduled.

First, the committee had to decide on a name for the new fire company — Community Volunteer Fire Company. Next, the committee elected a board of commissioners and a slate of officers, including Mr. William Williams as President and Mr. Bob Knight as Fire Chief. The committee then learned that a used tank truck could be purchased from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company.

On March 4th, 1953, a second general meeting of interested citizens was held, and the recommendations of the committee were heard and accepted with a unanimous vote. At this meeting, 80 people responded to the invitation to become charter members of the newly formed fire company.

On March 9th, 1953, the members of the Community Volunteer Fire Company received their first training session in firefighting. Firefighters from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company gave a demonstration at a reservoir belonging to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at nearby Swan Creek.

The plans to purchase the used truck from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company were finalized on April 1st, 1953. The new fire company at Level now owned a tank truck — a 1939 Dodge. However, since the firehouse had not yet been built, arrangements were made to keep the truck in Chief Bob Knight’s auto repair garage.

Something unusual happened on the first night the fire truck was kept in Chief Knight’s garage. Was it because it was April 1st — April Fool’s Day? We do not know, but the newly acquired firefighting vehicle was put into service that very night. Where? At a chimney fire in the very garage where it was parked.

Dedication and hard work quickly turned plans into action for the newly organized fire company at Level. By the end of April 1953, work had begun to build the proposed firehouse on a plot of land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Taylor.

The construction of the new firehouse was done entirely by the members. The men worked steadily for long hours, and on March 16th, 1954, the fire company held its first meeting in its new building.

The first elected officials were: President William Williams, owner of the Aldino Store; Treasurer George Bradfield, proprietor of the Level Store; and Chief Robert “Bob” Knight of Level Garage.

A ladies’ auxiliary was organized on May 21st, 1953. On February 14th, 1955, a used 1942 Cadillac ambulance was obtained from the Joppa-Magnolia Fire Company, and an ambulance service was started.

During 1965 and 1966, a new kitchen was built across the back of the original fire station. The kitchen measured 12 ft. deep by 32 ft. long, with a 10 ft. by 12 ft. storage room attached.

On October 2nd, 1973, the Community Volunteer Fire Company, Incorporated changed its name to Level Volunteer Fire Company, Incorporated.

At the December, 1973, meeting a motion was made and approved to form a committee to evaluate the feasibility of adding an addition to the existing fire station. Many meetings were held within the membership reviewing the various suggestions and proposals. It was decided that the building addition was needed. The administration again approached Mr. & Mrs. Charles Taylor about purchasing some additional ground adjacent to the current building. The ground was secured and the committee began work on designing the new fire station. Harford County Government was approached for funding, however this was denied and funding was gotten from within the company membership via low interest loans

A preengineered metal building was purchased through Porter Brothers, a Parkersburg 120x 102′ structure at a cost of $37,000. Work began September 14th to prepare the grounds for construction. The building was delivered and work started immediately, a crane was borrowed from the National Guard for setting the steel. The membership would work every Saturday and one evening thru the winter months to completely construct the metal structure. The Level Ladies Auxiliary provided drinks and hot coffee during the day and prepared and served homestyle dinners at lunch. Once the building was totally enclosed work began on the mechanical, plumbing, electrical, etc. This work was assisted by several local contractors at no cost to the company. Later that summer the front half of the building that would house the fire apparatus was completed. A dedication was held with the first ever parade at Level to celebrate the occasion. Work would continue over the next seven years as funding became available to complete the banquet hall and commercial kitchen along with the rest rooms and storage areas. All work was done by the membership with the assistance of local contractors at no cost as stated earlier. An oyster dinner was held in October, 1981, as the first public event. Hundreds of events have been held since as the ladies auxiliary continue their fund raising support for the fire company. 

In 1985, an FMC/Spartan Gladiator with a 10-man cab was purchased, becoming the first of its type in the county and state among all volunteer fire companies.

On August 25th, 1990, Lieutenant Thomas Weeks was killed responding to a fire call. Lieutenant Weeks was the first county firefighter to be killed in the line of duty.

In 1997, the need again rose for an addition and remodeling of the fire station.  The original building was demolished leaving the metal building constructed in 1974.  Additions were built on three sides bringing the total square footage to 25,340.  Kinsley Construction was awarded the contract for the construction.  The new station was dedicated May 23,1988 at a total cost of $1.9 million.  Harford County Government assisted with the funding for $700,000 through the capital improvements projects program.

Charter Members

These are the men and women who created Level from the ground up. Inspired by a single fire in their community, they created something out of nothing with their bare hands and a strong will. These men and women shall always be remembered for their persistance and hard work. They will stand as a reminder that if there is a will, there is a way.

George Bradfield*
Crawford Briney*
W. Carroll Craig, Jr.*
Raymond Cuffley*
Jerry Gilbert*
George Gregory*
Raymond Hopkins*
Eugene Hoshall*
Melvin Scarborough*
Kenneth Starr*
Aubrey Worthington*
Joseph Worthington*
Lawrence Worthington*

Charter Auxiliary Members

Emma Bradfield*
Frances Craig*
Helen Hoshall*
Anna Taylor*
Dorothy Worthington*
Elizabeth Worthington*
Margaret Worthington*
Bessie Bowman*

* Indicates the member has passed away and is remembered with honor.